MINNEAPOLIS, MN — Al Franken, the Minnesota senator forced to step down from his role January after more than a half a dozen women came forward to accuse him of sexual harassment, told WCCO-TV that he hasn’t ruled out another political run.
“It was very moving for me. It was very gratifying. I put my heart in the job,” Franken said. “I miss the whole job. I loved that job, I loved the job as Senator. … It was very meaningful for me and bittersweet, I would like to still be there,” Franken said in his first one-on-one interview since the scandal broke.
Asked if he plans to run for office again, he responded, “Well, see, if I say anything there you will put it in the story. I don’t know. I haven’t ruled it out, and I haven’t ruled it in.”
Prior to the multiple claims of sexual harassment surfaced against him, Franken had been an outspoken critic of president Donald Trump, who the former Saturday Night Live comedian referred to as a “sexual predator”.
“I, of all people, am aware that there is some irony in the fact that I am leaving while a man who has bragged on tape about his history of sexual assault sits in the Oval Office,” Franken said in December during his final speech on the Senate floor.
Following his resignation, Franken’s Senate seat was replaced by Tina Smith, who is running for re-election this fall.