WASHINGTON, D.C. — Adding to her already lengthy list of those to blame for her loss to Donald Trump in the 2016 presidential race, Hillary Clinton now says Benghazi is among the reasons she failed to become president.
Clinton’s poorly timed comments, which came just hours after the 5th anniversary of the date on which US ambassador Christopher Stevens, his state department colleague Sean Smith and former Navy Seals Tyrone Woods and Glen Doherty lost their lives, occurred as Clinton was promoting her new book, “What Happened”.
“Take the Benghazi tragedy—you know, I have one of the top Republicans, Kevin McCarthy, admitting we’re going to take that tragedy—because, you know, we’ve lost people, unfortunately, going back to the Reagan administration, if you talk about recent times, in diplomatic attacks,” Clinton told Matt Lauer and Savannah Guthrie on NBC’s “Today” on Wednesday as she threw out examples on how she felt she had been “unfairly” criticized. “But boy, it was turned into a political football. And it was aimed at undermining my credibility, my record, my accomplishments.”
Clinton’s critics were quick to berate the former Secretary of State for her comments, with many calling them inappropriate and heartless.
“It is disgusting for her to downplay it, and I think the American people knew it. She did nothing about it at the time, and this tragedy was entirely preventable, except her State Department was inept in protecting Americans in Benghazi,” Former Rep. Jason Chaffetz, (R)-Utah Chaffetz told Fox News. “I’m sure she can’t even look in the mirror and face the fact that, on her watch, they lost four Americans, and it’s disgusting she can’t live up to it, even today.”
Calling out Clinton for her comments on the Benghazi attack while giving testimony before a congressional panel in which she famously asked, “What difference does it make?” when probed on what led to the attack, Chaffetz said Clinton’s latest comments reveal her true colors.
“I think she really did believe that,” Chaffetz said. “She showed today that her comment about ‘what difference does it make’ was truly how she felt.”
Meanwhile, on Tuesday, two security contractors in an interview with Fox News’ chief intelligence correspondent Catherine Herridge (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/09/13/clinton-state-department-silenced-them-on-benghazi-security-lapses-contractors-say.html) alleged that Hillary Clinton’s State Department silenced them on important security lapses at the Benghazi, which they clam had they been permitted to address, could have saved the lives lost during the September 11, 2012 attack.
“Was the State Department contract officer trying to silence you?” Herridge asked longtime special forces soldier and security contractor executive Joe Torres.
“Oh absolutely,” said Torres. “The U.S. ambassador is dead and nobody is held accountable for it.”
Herridge claimed a classified cable was received in October 2012 by the State Department that showed Libya ambassador Chris Stevens and his team were in trouble in mid-August and that they had begged the State Department for help because radical Islamist groups were everywhere.
“They were sending these cables back to the contracting guys and the decision makers back here and they weren’t responding,” said Brad Owens, a former Army intelligence officer. “It’s gross incompetence or negligence, one of the two.”
Worse, says Torres, nothing was done under the Obama administration to prevent similar attacks in the future or to make the situation any better.
Torres went on to say that this terrorist attack could happen again and ‘nothing [has] changed” in making the security safer.
“Nothing [has] changed,” he said.